Thursday, January 15, 2009

How About Something Really Different?

I keep going over to wander through The War on Big Tobacco and I have realized that I have gotten away from something that I used to love to do. Smoke good cigars.

Trust me when I say that at one time or another in my life, I have dabbled in all forms of tobacco. The chew and snuff...well, not so much, but some. It can be kinda handy where you just can't light up but don't want to kill someone in the middle of a nicotine fit, but taking care of the residue can be tricky. Pipes? Oh yeah, been there, done that and I still love the smell of a pipe today. I never got so into that that I was having custom tobaccos mixed, but I have seen it done. Frankly, I always loved the Captain Black Royal. Oh, did I mention that I'm a cheap ass too? I'm also a bit on the lazy side so the pipe thing didn't last because there is so much maintenance that goes into taking care of your pipe that I found it more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with. I suppose I should have made it part of the whole "ritual" of the thing, but I thought it was a hassle at the time.

Which brings us to the cigar. Relaxing and somehow so much more "manly" I guess. You can spend a ton of money or you can find some real decent smokes on the cheap. It doesn't take a whole bunch of effort. You just punch or snip, toast/light and relax.

I think I'm going to stop at my local tobacconist and get a couple nice cigars on the way home from work. Maybe I need to just hit the relaxation button and I'll sleep better.

No comments: