Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympics

I want to say how impressed I am with the Olympic athletes. Our guys and gals have done a wonderful job. While it's very unlikely that she'll ever see this, I do want to talk to (about) one of them in particular. The very lovely and extremely talented Alicia Sacramone.

First off, you just feel free to spit in the eye of any "journalist" who criticizes your performance. Feel free to ask them when was the last time they were an Olympic athlete and on that world stage feeling that pressure. Then kick them in the balls and move on. Unless they don't have balls. While I'm on that subject...Andrea Joyce should just accept a big steaming cup of STFU. You're a career journalist, you've never even been an Olympic caliber athlete. Sure, Alicia had a bad day, but you've never even been there you sanctimonious bitch. She at least made the team, which is a hell of a lot more than you will ever be able to say. The very same can be said about (or to) Jeff Metcalf of the Arizona Republic. Both you two need to remember this, you may be there on press credentials, Alicia had to EARN the right to go, which she did. You're just taking up space which could have been used to store tampons for the women who earned their places.

Second and quite possibly most important is this thought for you.

OK, you didn't have the Olympic performance you dreamt about as a child. My question to you Alicia is...what are you going to do about it? The next Olympics is only 4 years away and you'll only be 24. You have 4 World Championships between now and then. I wouldn't want to give it up after a performance I knew wasn't my very best.

Here's my advice to you. Take a couple months off and go be an attractive 20 year old female. Hang with your friends, play on the beach and just take life easy. Then come back with a vengeance and prepare for the next World Championships and destroy your opponents. Then take it from there. If you want to quit, you can do it knowing you gave it your all and won, if the fire is still there, then do it again next year.

This is all really easy for me to say, I'm just a beer league goalie. The only pressure on me is making sure the beer is cold after the game. I just hate giving up on a negative note. I hope you'll come back better, faster and stronger than ever.

No comments: