Monday, October 19, 2009

Answer from Tim Walberg

He took the time to send me this answer:

Thank you for your email and questions. I served 16 years in the Michigan House of Representatives and two years in the U.S. House of Representatives, and during all of these nears, I never cast a vote against the Second Amendment. I believe (and my record proves) that the Second Amendment is a Constitutional mandate, not a personal opinion. In the Michigan House, I fought early and often to pass a concealed carry law that simply affirmed the Michigan and Federal Constitution…no more, no less. This freedom should apply to any weapon used legally, and illegal use of a firearm should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I believe our present concealed carry law goes way beyond our second amendment liberties. During my campaigns, organizations such as the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, SAFER, and others have endorsed me.

Regarding your questions, I believe the Constitution and Bill of Rights are the supreme law of the land. For the Second Amendment specifically, it states plainly and clearly, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”, and this is a private right, as Madison wrote in the Federalist papers. That is my standard for all questions regarding the Second Amendment, and my record demonstrates my firm commitment.

Best,

Tim

No comments: