Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shooting

I very rarely ask for any advice here, mostly because I doubt anyone actually reads this, but I need to make an exception.

I think by now, anyone who does read this knows that my primary carry gun is a Springfield Armory M1911-A1 Mil-Spec. I shoot as often as my budget allows and I have a few thousand rounds through the gun.

My problem goes like this. A guy at work is putting on a charity PPC shoot to benefit a Police Dog who has been retired due to doggie cancer. The proceeds from the shoot will assist in the vet bills for treatment. A most worthy cause, IMHO. I have done the Google thing and looked up the course of fire for a PPC shoot (which I shall rant about seperately) and the question becomes this.

I train for a real world hostile encounter. This means that my maximum shooting distance is 15 feet. How in the hell am I supposed to hit a target at 50 yards with a 1911? A standard B27? Can I even see that at 50 yards? Center of mass? You must be joking.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'll be shooting MagTech 230FMJ's if you care.

Oh yeah, if you're in Michigan and you want info for the shoot, let me know and I'll forward it to you.

4 comments:

Syd said...

My guru used to practice hitting tennis balls at 100 yards with a 1911. It can be done, and no, I have never accomplished that. The key to it is in getting your eye in on the trajectory. I think (don't quote me) that the mid-range trajectory of a .45 ACP at 50 yards is about 6 inches. This is what always messes me up with the long range stuff on the .45.

Warthog said...

What the hell...it's a non sanctioned shoot and I have been promised that no one will be laughing at me so I'll try a 6" holdover. The worst that can happen is that I'll miss and I'm already expecting that.

Terrapod said...

Hey, what's with this naysaying? I shoot a stock 1911 with a prodcution date of 1919, standard iron sights and I can group within a 5" circle at 25 yards and a 10" at 50. Basically you cover the entire square target with the rear sight and have the blade top just at or a hair below the top ring. It takes a bit of practice but it is not as hard as you think. Go out and give it a try. I will be surprised if you dont get all 6 shots within the 8X10 page on the second try and it improves from there.

Warthog said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I found out that I will not have that opportunity however as the folks putting this shoot on have altered the course of fire to a maximum of 50 feet. Still further out than I practice, but I have shot that distance so I may not do as badly as I thought.