Saturday, March 17, 2012

Good Advice...But

I found this good article on things every gun owner should have but sometimes ignores. There's some information in there about how to carry loose cartridges if you're a single action revolver type or getting high quality hard cases to carry your rifles. There's a really nice bit about how every pistol deserves a holster and I really do agree with that. Get a reliable high quality holster for your pistol.

One thing the author missed and I want to touch on is more for folks like me who carry a semi automatic pistol like the 1911 or the XD.

MAGAZINES!

I found out the hard way that my 1911 hates 8 round magazines. Doesn't matter who makes them. Doesn't matter who's spring is in it. Doesn't matter who made the follower or what type it is. My 1911 hates, and I mean truly hates 8 round magazines. I need to use the standard old school 7 round magazines. Any type, style or manufacturer.

Thank the Gods I discovered this on the range and not under the black flag. When the SHTF is a really bad time to find out that your magazines aren't reliable or your pistol hates the magazines you have.

Those that love the Glock should know that Glocks have a nasty reputation for not functioning properly with magazines made by anyone other than Glock and some of those, especially the earlier models, don't work real well either. No matter what semi auto pistol you carry, make double damn sure your magazines function properly with your pistol. This isn't a suggestion my friends, it's an order.

Your life may depend on it.

No comments: