Monday, April 12, 2010

More Than Mildly Frightning

I have learned of an uptick in pirate activity over in the Somalia area. I've been pondering this for a couple days and the longer I think about it, the scarier it gets. Those pirates are up to something...something evil. They have to be, Somalia may be a little backward but no one in a nation that borders a major commercial shipping route will EVER...EVER mistake a warship for a commercial sailing vessel. I mean, come on kids, if the paint job isn't a dead give away, the shape of the ship itself should sure as hell tell you something.

I now give you the USNI blog and the article that I've been considering here. With that, a passage that makes one think.

This is the latest in a number of incidents over the last 120 days involving pirates in the Gulf of Aden intentionally engaging men of war. USS Nicholas (FFG-47) and USS Farragut (DDG-99) were both apparently engaged, while USS McFaul (DDG-74) captured ten pirates on Wednesday after answering a distress call.

Anyone who reads this blog know I'm a Navy vet. There is absolutely no fucking way on this earth that you can mistake an FFG-7 class Frigate for a merchie. Helen fucking Keller could tell the difference. A DDG-51 Class Destroyer...a Destroyer? I mean come on...look at the rake of that bow? There's no merchant ship in the world with a bow rake like that. Attend children.

FFG 47



DDG 99



Maersk Alabama




How the holy fuck can you possibly confuse these?

So that brings me to the question. What exactly is going on? What are the pirates trying to do? Is this a scenario where they believe that if they can actually take a warship they can "scare" off CTF 51?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...The Roman Empire had the perfect method of dealing with piracy on the high seas...They killed them.

I am sorry about the photo quality here, for some reason I'm having some issues in both finding a decent sized recent pic and geting it to the hard drive to post here.

No comments: